East of the ancient castle town of the Costa are now only remains of city walls and the ruins reachable through a path of great artistic and environmental interest. The building, known as ‘Castellano’, was erected in the thirteenth century with the precise function of a fortified castle. The castle belonged at first to Falconieri, lords of Cumiana first, then the principles of Savoy, and finally in 1366, when the Termignoni Canalis bought the estate, the ownership of the castle passed definitively to Canalis, a family of feudal lords of Savoy-employed Achaia and for six centuries of history of Cumiana dominatrix. The dominant cost of building above the village, in a panoramic position, lies the fascinating construction that is commonly known as the Castle Coast. In reality the building, unlike the real fortified castle above it, was beginning a residential villa with no defensive purpose. The first wing of the castle again, the one on the south – west, was built in the sixteenth century by Bernardino of William Canalis with the stones of the castle. A sixteenth-century architecture that first group were added during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries built up other areas to cover an area of 4470 square meters. The building has undergone several changes of ownership, from the Canon Canalis Maione accounts Provana Collegno it bought in 1864 and sold it only a few years ago, the death of the last countess who still lived there, and immobility Maletto Bears. Today, the stately building belongs to the family Vaglio, who made his residence there.
The building housed the history of Costa various celebrities. We stayed at the end of 1600 the famous Anna Charlotte Teresa Canalis, Marchesa di Spigno. The chronicles tell us that Victor Amadeus II, on the eve of the battle of Marsaglia, fell in love with the girl and made her his mistress and then marry her just before his abdication (September 1730) in favor of his son Carlo Emanuele III, thus defeating hopes to become Queen of the Marquise. The historic building also met Vittorio Alfieri in 1764, just fifteen, I went on holiday for the wedding of her sister, Countess Giulia, with Count Giacinto Canalis. An inscription on the plaster bust of Victor Alfieri in the hall of the palace reminds his stay. The great Italian dramatist lived there just five years later and returned to other important moments of his life. Several passages of his biography show admiration for the resort-but Belliss Cumiana distant ten miles from Turin “and Cumianesi still handed down memories of his wild ride in the gardens behind the ramparts. Another distinguished guest of the palace was St. John Bosco who is remembered in the private chapel adjacent to the central hall.
The castle consists of four well-differentiated housing sleeves, aggregated around a central courtyard with two side porches. He currently is in poor storage conditions: the west is facing a severe situation of structural and aesthetic degradation: in the short term there will be a major renovation. The eastern part of the building, thanks to recent renovation work is presented in good condition instead. The main façade, facing south, is organized on three levels of architecture. In front of the facade of a monumental staircase made up of three large ramps e. made of river stones gives access to the castle and leads to a large terrace of 115 sqm surrounded by a balustrade of white marble from Carrara. On it you can admire some ancient sundials, one of which is still able to tell the time. The north façade is the most simple, unadorned and architectural pilasters. The small terrace does not have a balustrade of marble like the one of the main facade, but would still enjoy some importance since it leads directly from the gardens to the frescoed room.